The Council voted for the rezoning of Colonial. Read the Article here. Harahan City Council votes to approve subdivision and rezoning of former Colonial Golf and Country Club
We would like to Thank all of the people that worked so hard to make Save Harahan a reality. This isn’t over. We have to make sure that this is done right! We will continue to lobby and monitor this ongoing project to protect Harahan.
The only way to stop the proposed commercial development of Colonial Country Club is for residents to make their opposition known to the council. This rezoning opens the door for future additional commercial and multi-family as allowed by the recent amendment to the city’s zoning classification.
If you cannot attend, please call Councilman Lawrence Landry at 504-228-4929, Eric Chatelain at 504-416-7807, Tim Baudier 504-343-7762, Dana Huete 504-250-7051 or Cindy Murray 504-812-9847 to express your opposition. Please encourage your family, friends, and neighbors to attend or at the very minimum, call these councilmen. It appears that without significant opposition from residents this development will be approved.
GET THE FACTS
- THE OWNER’S ATTORNEY ADMITTED AT THE PLANNING AND ZONING MEETING THAT THERE IS NO COMMITMENT TO SAVE A LARGE PORTION FOR GREENSPACE.
- THERE IS NO PROVISION FOR DRAINAGE ON THIS PROJECT WHICH WILL RESULT IN INCREASED FLOODING.
- CHANGING THE ZONING ON THIS PROPERTY WILL ALLOW FOR MULTI-FAMILY DEVELOPMENT
- THE DEVELOPER/OWNER STEADFASTLY REFUSES TO DIVULGE WHO THE PROPOSED TENANTS ARE
- THE DEVELOPER HAS FAILED TO PROVIDE SUBSTANTIAL PROOF OF THE PROJECTED REVENUES TO THE CITY. VACANT COMMERCIAL PRODUCES NO REVENUE.
- THERE ARE 32 VACANT COMMERCIAL PROPERTIES IN HARAHAN.
- RESIDENTS ARE OVERWHELMINGLY AGAINST THIS DEVELOPMENT
- COMMERCIAL DEVELOPMENT WILL COMPROMISE SAFETY, INCREASE CRIMINAL ACTIVITY, ADD TRAFFIC LIGHTS, AND INCREASE CONGESTION, AND NOISE.
- THE MAYOR AND COUNCILMEN NEED TO DO WHAT THEY WERE ELECTED BY THE RESIDENTS TO DO WHICH IS TO PRESERVE THE QUALITY OF LIFE AND UNIQUE RESIDENTIAL CHARACTER OF HARAHAN
Even though the Planning and Zoning Board voted AGAINST the subdivision and rezoning of the property at their last meeting the council makes the final decision.
Please come to the meeting, call a councilman or sign our petition to show your support. Please sigh our petition to show your support: Here
Follow us on Facebook